Thursday 23 July 2009

Lecturing in China

From 2002 to 2006 I worked for the UN as a Research Fellow of UNU-IIST in Macao, a special administrative region of China. Part of the job was to hold advanced computer-science courses in developing countries. The participants were post-graduates, typically young assistant professors.

In 2003, at a course in Lanzhou I certainly got the most impressive welcome: my name on a banner at the entrance to the campus (see picture). In China protocol is important, but Lanzhou Jiatong University was special. As a UN representative I was also officially welcomed by the rector and interviewed by their campus TV. I must admit, I was slightly impressed. Even more so by the fact that they had their own hotel on campus in which I stayed.

The course title was Formal Methods in Software Development. Lanzhou Jiatong University, Lanzhou, China, December 15--19, 2003.

Teaching formal methods is fun!
The course participants.